Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Diane Ackerman’s A Natural History of the Senses is as infectious as the scent of roses. Split into the five senses, to which is added a chapter on synesthesia, Ackerman – a poet – explores her material with a lyrical wonder that is infectious and great reading.  I think it was great how Ackerman used touch to show how it improves our health, she shows in her work that touch improves the health of premature babies. Premature babies that are massaged gain 50% more weight than babies who aren't.  She explains in depth how the human touch has an impact on not only our health, but our senses as well.


Paper Stacking




This is my paper stacking project.  We had to choose a vegetable and then we got to choose one of our own.  I decided to make something that I could use outside of my art class. I choose to make the Root Chakra symbol.  Chakra's are a Hindu Indian concept.  They are centers of spiritual power in the human body.  We have seven different chakra and each one resonates with a color and musical note.   I choose the root chakra because I like to remind myself to stay grounded and true to my roots. The four petal represent mind, intellect, consciousness, and ego.  The circle represents the spiritual realm because it is perpetual, never ending or changing, and the square represents the physical realm, also known as earth because it has four corners representing earth, wind, fire, and water. The triangle stands for consciousness rising to enlightenment from point to base; and energy being pulled from the heavens down, from base to point. The root chakra is at the tail base end of our spine and resonates with the color red.  This project is now being used as a healing tool for me.  When I feel insecure or anxious I like to put the sculpture in my hand and hold it and remember that I am rooted to the earth, I respect Mother Earth, and I am secure in my environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment