Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gregor's Room





This project was the most difficult for me.  Since paper was the only medium that could be used I had to figure out a way to make the paper into a bed, bed frame, and a beetle, or Gregor.  I used water as adhesive to make the bed frame.  I rolled up the paper tightly and tied them together turning the paper into strings.  I used origami as my foundation of this project.  I wanted to portray the furniture in his room as dark, moldy, and depressing. 

Response To Kafka's Work

It was nice to read the work for the visual aspect. Throughout the story it had a dark erie feel.  Gregor has been walked on by his family his whole life and eventually led him turning into a bug.  I feel as if what happened to Gregor was his perspective of how his family had been treating him his whole life and it put him in a dark depressive state.  Whenever I pictured Gregor I would see him as a gross, large but at the same time small beetle.  I would see him as large because to him being turned into a bug was a ordeal.  It shocked him but at the same time I saw him as small and minuscule because his family had always overlooked him.  That is why when he turned into a bug his family didn't notice.  Making him feel smaller but at the same time large because he was surprised they didn't notice. 
The saddest part of the story is the end when Gregor's father pushed him into his room and slammed the door telling him he was done.  Gregor never asked to be turned into a bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment